So, I took a break from writing for the past week. It was a difficult decision for me because I LOVE writing – it’s more than a hobby for me, it’s my ministry. However, I’ve had so much going on with the move to our new home, getting the Nick Crew ready for the school year, and projects at work that I had to get a little breathing space somewhere. But I’m back!
This past week was a reminder for me that I don’t have to be Super-Woman, Super-Mommy, Super-Wife ALL the time. We deserve time to ourselves because we are human. Our bodies get tired and our minds and spirits do become weary.
That is why self-care is so important! If we don’t take care of ourselves, we can’t take care of those we love. Did you know self-care is a biblical concept? Actually, Jesus Christ gives us great examples of when he had to take a break to rest, rejuvenate, and recover.
As crowds continue to follow Jesus Christ to hear him preach and many were healed, Luke 5:16 states, “and He withdrew himself into the wilderness, and prayed.” (KJV). After learning of the death of John the Baptist, “Jesus said, ‘Let’s go off by ourselves to a quiet place and rest awhile.’ He said this because there were so many people coming and going that Jesus and his apostles didn’t even have time to eat.” Mark 6:31-32 (NIV). He then went on to feed the five thousand. After he poured out Himself to so many, Jesus Christ knew He had to rest, so that He could continue on His mission.
Jesus Christ spoke directly to each of us in Matthew 11:28, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” (NIV) Don’t feel guilty by taking a TIME OUT for yourself – YOU DESERVE IT!
Here are a few ideas of how you can reclaim time for yourself:
- Schedule a daily appointment for at least 30 minutes of exercise. This could be as simple as taking a walk during your lunch break.
- Wake up 15-30 minutes earlier than your kids to read a devotion, pray, and meditate. This helps you get your day started on a positive note!
- Try Yoga! Not only are you getting a great workout but it is so relaxing.
- After you put the kids to bed, light some candles and take a long, soothing bubble bath.
- Treat yourself! Whether it’s a hair appointment, manicure, pedicure, or massage, we all deserve a treat!